Monday, April 25, 2011

Ethics and Flags

First things first.

I am not here to make you love or even like people that bot. That is an impossible task. How could I ever expect you to enjoy someone that uses an automated system instead of hard work?

Answer is: I can't.

No, what I AM here for is just to open a line of communication. To clarify the blurred thoughts that you hard working people have about us "slackers."

You see, I don't bot my toon in instances. No. I feel that using it in that way would be very disrespectful. (I'm sure you already think that using a bot in general is disrespectful.)

I don't. No. Not at all. Using one to cut back on my actual computer time is perfectly ok with me.

I have never and will never use one in an instance. It's just wrong. On so many levels.

That aside. I do use it in every other aspect.

Bgs, farming, the AH, leveling.

But... you're not here to hear about me right?

You're here to find out what markets us bots are affecting right?

Well... to be honest all of them.

I know. That's not the answer you want. It is the truth though.

The gold farmers that do it for pay. The ones who go to work, get on a random (almost always hacked) account and use whatever method their boss tells them to use. Mainly farming for whatever trade good sells for the most. They usually only have the one profession they need and the gear they use is all under the ilevel for that area and broken.

Those are the ones that are supplying the bulk amount of ore/herbs that you and I buy up.

They're fairly simple to figure out. Really, they don't care if you figure them out. They just want your gold. Then they turn around and sell it to the mass amount of people that don't read the gold blogs.

Reading the gold blogs is going to get you information you never knew...

About the gold farmers.

They're not going to be able to tell you about us independent botters. Why?

Because we're unpredictable.

Pretty much like every other human. It just might have something to do with the fact that we ARE humans...
Not machines.

Week to week we're focusing on a different task.

This past weekend? Call to Arms.

Thats right. Leveling alts through the Call to Arms.

Which... would be a good time to join in on the fun. You'll get faster que times and if you're lucky the opposition will have more bots than you. Giving you an easy win (in certain bgs).

You see... in Arathi Basin and Alterac Valley the bots are programmed to cap flags. Yep.

I bet you never knew that "Noobsalot" who just capped a flag could actually be a bot.

I think I shared too much already.

Read wednesday's post for more.

As always you can follow me on twitter @thefriendlybot or email me at thefriendlybotter@live.com.

Until next time friends.

3 comments:

  1. I'm interested in hearing more about bots in BG's. Do you think the more bots you have on your team the more likely you are to lose? I've been lvling my Shaman though BG's recently and the amount of what I assume are bots - read, people who go on follow is astounding!
    It's pretty annoying they're not helping in the slightest and taking up the spot of a real player.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, those followers are a bit annoying.

    Whats funny is that there is a "bot" that you can download for free that will do just that. It will target the nearest friendly, /follow them, and just spam one button.

    Those types of "bots" are fairly easy to spot out and I actually take the liberty to report them whenever I see them. (I'll set up a post about how you can set them off their course... lol)

    To answer your question: Yes... to a degree.

    It really depends on which bg you are in.

    To keep it short-

    WSG, IOC- you're screwed if you have a lot of bots on your team.

    AV, AB- You'll be fine with bots.

    EOTS- It's pretty much a wash. They help cap towers but not flags.

    I haven't dabbled in the new ones enough to determine anything. I'll get back to you on this.

    How about this. I'll set up a post that covers each of the bgs and how to spot someone that is using a bot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also to clarify. In my comment when I say bot I mean the program I'm using. Not the garbage follower ones. If those are in your bg. You are at a disadvantage no matter what.

    ReplyDelete